Identification of canvas
Cotton and linen cloth is yellowish in color, suitable for beginners. If the color is white, it can only be used as an exercise, and it is very easy to absorb oil.
Cotton and linen are suitable for beginners, linen is suitable for works, and jute is suitable for large-stroke oil painting. The high-quality pure linen sold in the market has a higher price. The price can also reflect the quality of the linen.
The high-quality linen is darker in color and looks solid.
Inexpensive linen cloth is mostly woven from hemp, with short fibers. Individual merchants sell semi-linen cloth, cotton and linen cloth with linen cloth, we can use the following methods to distinguish.
(1) Through light inspection, check whether the thickness of the warp and weft is uniform. If the warp and weft are too uniform, it may be a cotton fabric.
(2) Check the tightness of the weaving by tightening the pattern.
(3) The high-quality primary color linen is brown, shiny, and even absorbing water. The linen is not good in quality, and the linen that is processed into soft fibers has uneven water absorption and will turn black when wet.
(4) Outer worsted linen, the less fluff on the surface, the better.
(5) The vertical and horizontal tightness of the semi-linen cloth is different.
(6) Pull a thread, if there is bending or bifurcation at both ends, the thread is cotton thread. The two ends of the torn linen thread should be smooth, otherwise it is not pure.
(7) If the caustic soda water is applied to the canvas, the linen will appear brownish yellow, and the cotton cloth will appear light yellow.